Wednesday 10 December 2014

Gig Guide : Bombay Bicycle Club



So on a very hungover sunday travelling back from London after seeing Kasabian at Brixton Academy we rushed back to get ready to head back to Manchester to see Bombay at the Apollo.

Peace were the support act (we missed SiVU) and to be honest, I was a big fan of them a couple of years ago. But two years on and they've hardly released any new material and it just felt a bit like they were wasting time before Bombay could come out. Even though I was suffering immensely from a hangover from hell, and chugging Pepsi like I hadn't had a drink in a week, there's something so magical about Bombay Bicycle Club that makes everything OK again. 

I always think gigs go too quickly (probably cause I'm usually a bit drunk), but this spectacular hour and a half seemed to last an age! Probably because there was so much to take in - this is a band that always makes such an effort to show everyone a good time. There were fireworks and streamers and little paper tickets that were shot into the air - it was almost as if we were back at Glastonbury. 

In amongst all of this, the stage graphics that flickered through slides onto five circles behind the band as they played through So Long, See You Tomorrow, were just incredible. Big up to the designers that put those together. This is the first time I've seen Bombay at a gig, the previous three times were at Benicassim, Leeds and Glastonbury festivals. I've loved them every time, but I can't imagine any other gig would top this!

No comments:

Post a Comment